Malachite is a beautiful bright green stone with bands of black that just makes it look regal to me. My first encounter with Malachite was when I was researching stones for my husbands chronic pain and arthritis. In the beginning we could not afford Malachite, so it was on the Earth + Fire wishlist of stones we wanted to offer to sell in the future. Now my daughter and I both make eye catching bracelets, earrings, rings and necklaces with the stone. Malachite is a very powerful stone that does so much, I can’t wait to share all the information I learned researching this stone.
Malachite - The Quick Explanation
To make it simple, Malachite is associated with the following:
- Keywords: Confidence, Protection, Creativity, Rebirth
- Element: Fire
- Chakras: Heart (4th), Solar Plexus (3rd), Base (1st), Sacral (2)
- Number: 9
- Planet: Venus
- Astrological: Scorpio | Capricorn
- Birthdates: Aug 22nd & 23rd, Sept 21st & 22nd, Oct 4th – 6th,
Ancient History of Malachite
Malachite in history, dates back as far as 6000 years ago; it was found in Egyptian copper mines that were sacred to the Goddess Hathor. They would grind Malachite into a paste to treat ailments of the eyes, cholera and wounds that had become infected. The Ancient Egyptians also mixed Malachite with honey and used it as a natural antibiotic to treat the sick. It was recently discovered that the copper carbonate hydroxide contained in Malachite has the effects of an antibacterial. It naturally blocks pathogens like staphylococcus and other diseases.
Ancient Egyptians also used Malachite in carvings. They mined it from an area between the Suez and Mt Sinai as early as 4000 BC. Hieroglyphs show that Malachite was an important part of existence of their Gods. When used as an amulet, the ancients would engrave the sun into Malachite believing it would block black magic & demons. They also carved Malachite into scarab Beatles of the Egyptian God Kepra – the creator of all the Egyptian gods. Ancient Greeks, Romans & Egyptians would make sculptures and vases with Malachite. They also ground it into power to use as eye shadow.
In medieval times Malachite was used to heal the eyes, it was believed to also alleviate cramps, seizures, cure vomiting and to ease childbirth. In history Malachite has not only been used to protect children from evil spirits, it has also been used to relieve dental pain in children by hanging a piece of Malachite from the child’s neck.
Malachite was associated with travel and wealth; merchants would wear Malachite or keep it with their money pouch because they believed it would increase their profits. It was often called the “salesman’s stone” in many regions.
In Istanbul, Malachite Columns were used in the Church of Hagia Sophia, which were recycled from the temple of Diana at Ephesus. Russian Czars would use Malachite to create large structures, such as the columns in St. Isaacs Cathedral. Italians wore Malachite for its protective properties and warding off the evil eye. The word Malachite actually comes from the Ancient Greek word Malache which is the green in the leaves of the mallow plant.
Health Benefits of Malachite
Malachite has been used through history as a stone of purification by absorbing negativity, pollutants and toxins from around the body like radiation. It can also absorb toxins in the body that often cause stomach aches and digestion issues.
It is great stone for restoring strength and energy after a bad illness. It assists with the repair of tissue after surgeries and with promoting the healing torn muscles. Malachite can oxygenate the blood and give vitality and exuberance.
Malachite has been used by many to reduce cramping pain, assist with labor and childbirth, alleviate issues with menstruation, assist those with psychosexual issues, past and past life traumatic sexual experiences, issues with female sexual organs and sexual dis-ease. It is also known for easing childbirth
It is known to help reduce pain, especially arthritic pain and rheumatism; it reduces inflammation in swollen and painful joints, strains, sprains, bone fractures, broken bones, torn muscles and inflammatory disease. This stone is great for detoxing the body and aiding digestion. It helps those with bad allergies, that deal with motion sickness, have vertigo, and issues with asthma. It also helps with stress related insomnia.
Lastly Malachite is good for boosting the immune system, helps to regulate and release toxins from all the internal organs but especially the liver and gallbladder. It regulates blood pressure and is good for circulatory issues. It helps with improving physical balance, eyesight, assists the optic nerve, great for reducing tumors, assisting those with seizures, epilepsy, diabetes, counters the effects of dyslexia.
Let’s Get (Meta)Physical
Malachite is great for people in positions of great responsibility, such as business owners or religious leaders. It assists them in carrying out the Devine Will, giving them the confidence needed to make sound decisions to stay true to the direction that benefits their business or organization.
This stone is a wonderful karmic cleanser, showing you your life’s purpose; it has been known to bring to the surface what is blocking your spiritual and emotional growth by breaking unwanted ties and releasing you to your success. It teaches you to take responsibility for your actions, thoughts and feelings.
Malachite is also known be able to feel danger and hostile forces and gives the wearer a cloak of invisibility from those who may want to cause you harm physically and emotionally. It also increases your own sense of awareness or psychic abilities in instances of danger. It is a great stone for empaths because it provides emotional protection.
When used with intention, Malachite can assist with identifying the needed steps to bring dreams and wishes into physical reality. It is a good stone for those who have had abusive experiences, in the past or present, to overcome the fear of self-expression and confrontation. It is a powerful cleanser of the emotional body and helps release childhood trauma.
Great for warding off nightmares and illness and is a great stone for protecting children from harmful situations. It is a stone of transformation, turning negative situations to positive, aiding in the attraction of love and letting love. It is also good stone for releasing the resistance to love.
Using Malachite with intention, by either wearing it or placing it above your computer or on top of your phone, removes any negative energies and eliminates unwanted electronic communications. Malachite is said to protect against negative energies that are associated with our modern way of communicating. It can help guard against the minor and major interruption of phone calls, emails, texts to give you a more peaceful mindset.
It is a wonderful stone for enhancing psychic abilities and seeing through the fog of emotional indecision and confusion. It can help you set emotional boundaries and is good for protection from psychic and energetic abuse. Malachite is good for dream interpretation and mediation and also helps with depression and manic depression
Malachite encourages empathy for others. It releases inhibitions and helps the wearer be more open to taking risks and experiencing new adventures. Malachite assists you in being courageous, dispelling shyness and motivating the expression of feelings.
Lastly, it is a great stone to balance the yin & yang energies. Keep Malachite in the car to reduce road rage. It calms anxiety caused by flying or anxiety caused by social situations.
Let's Talk Chakra's
- Heart Chakra: Malachite benefits the emotional and physical heart through harmonizing the heart chakra and opening it to unconditional love. It assists with emotional balance and helps you to remain positive. Wear Malachite as a necklace or ring to keep emotional energy of the heart in balance
- Solar Plexus: Malachite stimulates the solar plexus and enhances will power, making it easier to refuse temptations of all kinds, and assists with serving your highest good with confidence. When Malachite is placed on the solar plexus it helps bring about emotional healing by absorbing those negative emotions and allowing for the release of negative experiences and traumas.
- All Chakras: Malachite’s activates and clears all the chakras, attuning them to the reception of spiritual guidance.
- Third Eye Chakra: When Malachite is placed on the third eye chakra it can activate psychic visions
- Vitality & Physical Energy: Combine Malachite with Tiger’s Eye
- Anxiety: Combine Malachite and Citrine to reduce anxiety in social situations and boost self confidence
- Minor Cuts & Scraps: Hold Emerald or Malachite to affected skin and apply an Amber Elixir.
- Endurance: Wear or carry any combination of Malachite, Magnetite, Meteorite, Sodalite, and Stibnite to increase endurance
- Epilepsy: Carry or wear Malachite + Sugilite.
- Healthy Bones: Carry or wear any combination of Malachite, Amethyst, Emerald, Garnet, Howlite, Jade, Lapis Lazuli, & Pyrite to help strengthen weakened bones.
- Inflammation: Hold any combination of Malachite, Emerald, Galena or Pyrite to the affected area.
- Tissue Regeneration: Carry or Wear Amber, Carnelian, Citrine, Garnet, Turquoise and or Malachite near the affected area.
- Stress related Physical Conditions (Asthma, Allergies, Skin Conditions Ulcerative Colitis and Heart Disease: Carry or wear any combination of Malachite, Kunzite, Lepidolite, or Nephrite. You should handle and play with these stones as often as possible.
- Upsetting Emotional Conditions: Keep near you or wear any combination of Malachite/Azurite, Lepidolite, Blue Lace Agate, Kyanite, Rhodolite, Rose Quartz, Tourmaline, Ametrine, Smoky Quartz, Blue Aventurine, Sodalite, or Serpentine.
- Dream Recall: Carry, wear or place under your pillow; Blue Quartz, Kyanite, Jade, Mookaite, and or Malachite
** Note: Malachite absorbs negative energy and pollutants very easily and should be cleansed regularly by placing it the sun on top of a quartz cluster. Never use salt to clean Malachite, it will damage the surface of the stone.
** Warning: Malachite is TOXIC and should be handled with caution when unpolished. It is important to avoid breathing in its dust and if used as an elixir it should only be applied externally.
Share your experiences with Malachite in the comments. We would love to hear from you and learn about your encounters with Malachite and what you feel it did or did not do for you.